Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Music that reassures about sobriety

From the Tiny Mix website (tinymixtapes.com):

I am a recovering addict and alcoholic, all my favorite music was composed by junkies and lushes, and my friends want me to go the pub for a drink. i need a mix that reassures me it’s good to be clean and sober.

Requested by: elleon713
Compiled by: Hannahrama

Note from Hannahrama: Side A is full of artists/band members that have managed to quit drug or alcohol abuse, legions of fans falling at their feet. Side B has artists/band members who died as a result of drug or alcohol abuse. You can’t really enjoy much, when you’re dead.

SIDE A: If they can do it, you can, too!
01. John Coltrane - "Aisha" (Ole Coltrane [Bonus Track])
02. David Bowie - "Heroes" (Best of Bowie)
03. Elvis Costello - "My Little Blue Window" (When I Was Cruel)
04. Velvet Revolver - "Fall to Pieces" (Contraband)
05. Tom Waits - "Anywhere I Lay My Head" (Rain Dogs)
06. Johnny Cash - "I Still Miss Someone" (Folsom Prison Blues)
07. Eric Clapton - "Tears in Heaven" (Clapton Chronicles: The Best of Eric Clapton)
08. Iggy Pop - "Private Hell" (Skull Ring)
09. The Used - "Yesterday’s Feelings" (In Love and Death)
10. The Cure - "Lost" (The Cure)

SIDE B: Cut down in their prime.
01. Nirvana - "Come As You Are" (Nevermind)
02. The Doors - "Touch Me" (Legacy: The Absolute Best)
03. Jimi Hendrix - "Castles Made of Sand" (Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix)
04. Blind Melon - "No Rain" (Blind Melon)
05. The Ruts - "Staring at the Rude Boys" (Something That I Said: The Best of the Ruts)
06. The Ramones - "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" (The Ramones)
07. Townes Van Zandt - "If I Needed You" (The Late Great Townes Van Zandt)
08. Elliott Smith - "Roman Candle" (Roman Candle)
09. Deep Purple - "Smoke on the Water" (Machine Head)
10. Tim Buckley - "Chase the Blues Away" (Blue Afternoon)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to invite you to check out the 12-step and recovery music available at http://www.sunlightofthespirit.com

Sunlight of the Spirit Music's mission is to offer support from alcoholism and addiction in all its forms by making 12-Step and Recovery Music CDs widely available, to exclusively sell CDs from artists in recovery, and to raise awareness that great music can be created without the use of drugs or alcohol.

Wishing you serenity,
-Gracie